Mobile Messaging API
This feature is not on a current W3C standards track, but it is supported on the Firefox OS platform. Although implementations may change in the future and it is not supported widely across browsers, it is suitable for use in code dedicated to Firefox OS apps.
WebSMS is an API that makes it possible for web content to create, send, and receive Short Message Service (SMS) or Multimedia Messaging Service (MMS) messages.
This is a non standard implementation, but it is discussed at W3C as part of the System Application Working Group.
|Messaging API||Editor's Draft||Editor Draft (WIP).|
For obvious reasons, support is primarily expected on mobile browsers.
Supported in Firefox OS 1.0.1 and 1.1 for MMS.
- WebSMS is disabled by default and can be enabled setting the preference
- A comma-separated whitelist of allowed hostnames that are allowed to use the WebSMS API must be specified using the
dom.sms.whitelistpreference. This string is empty by default.
- WebSMS is only available to certified apps on Firefox OS (B2G).
- MMS are available starting with Firefox OS 1.1
- WebSMS API (design document)